In recent times I've really found a soft spot in my music tastes for indie music, and these guys certainly hit the spot! This four-piece band is from Australia too, Brisbane, which is cool too. They seem to be a fairly recent hit, their debut album 'In a Million Years' was only released this year - 2 months ago in fact (so I feel like I'm pretty in the know right now :P) however the ridiculously solid sound of their album tells me that a lot more people are gonna find out about these guys very soon!
The sound of the album is really what captured me. The opening track, Zoom, starts with a nostalgically indie tape-deck sample which is then overpowered by an energetic guitar riff which quickly breaks in the full band. The song, and the whole album, keeps up this energy and makes for a very exciting, foot tapping (or get up and jump around) kind of listen. The band does not shy away from playing around with technique and varies texture (which i'm a sucker for) and also plays around with the tone of the guitars, which is pretty neat.
The lyrics, I feel, is the only thing that really let's me down on this album. Lyrics are a pretty huge thing for me but none the less, I can still enjoy a great song without having a clue what is being sung about. But anyway, I've found that after listening to this album for over a week, I still havn't been able to glimpse much of what any of the songs are actually about. Whilst some of them are a bit more obvious - 'Used to be Mine' - i still feel i'd be able to enjoy the album a lot more if i sat down with the band and they told me what each line meant.... And other songs would probably still just leave me scratching my head to be honest!
No one's cool all the time, sometimes not at allPerhaps I just need to listen to it more! I don't know.
Treasure hunt, hope you'd find what you're looking for
Nikola, we gotta make a difference
Nikola, we gotta make a difference
- 'Time and Place'
Anyway, definitely a very interesting and catchy album. If you're looking for something, fun, energetic, interesting and indie, I would definitely recommend Last Dinosaurs.
Peace.

No comments:
Post a Comment